“Adagio” (Father’s Theme) by the Greek composer Eleni Karaindrou, from the Theo Angelopoulos movie “Landscape in the Mist” (1988). She is best known for scoring the films of director Theo Angelopoulos. Oboe: Vangelis Christopoulos. Concert Hall of Athens (March 27, 2005).
Landscape in the Mist is a 1988 Greek film directed by Theo Angelopoulos. The movie portrays the journey of two children in search of their father, whom they believe lives in Germany. On the way, they meet many people, including a troupe of actors (a reference to Angelopoulos’ early movie The Travelling Players), and encounter dangers. Eventually, they cross a river thinking they have reached their hoped-for destination.
Eleni Karaindrou is a Greek composer, born in the village of Teichio in Phocis, Central Greece, on November 25, 1941. She is very prolific. Until 2008 she had composed music for 18 full-length movies, 35 theatrical productions, and 11 Serials and Television films. She has also worked with Chris Marker, Jules Dassin, and Margarethe von Trotta. A musician of extraordinary sensibility, she received in 1992 the Premio Fellini by Europa cinema.
Related: “Autumn Waltz” by Adam Hurst
- Eleni Karaindrou on Wikipedia
- Landscape in the Mist on Wikipedia
- Chausson: Poème [hr-Sinfonieorchester, Tjeknavorian, Altinoglu] - April 1, 2023
- Marcello: Oboe Concerto [Cameristi della Scala] - March 26, 2023
- Maxim Vengerov and Daughter perform “Adagio” from Alessandro Marcello’s Oboe Concerto - March 24, 2023