Johann Sebastian Bach’s The musical offering, BWV 1079, performed by Le Concert des Nations, an orchestra with period instruments. Conductor: Jordi Savall.
The musical offering, BWV 1079 Programme
The Musical Offering (German title: Musikalisches Opfer or Das Musikalische Opfer), BWV 1079, is a collection of keyboard canons and fugues and other pieces of music by Johann Sebastian Bach, all based on a single musical theme given to him by Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia, (24 January 1712 – 17 August 1786), to whom they are dedicated.
With starting times in the video:
- 00:00:53 Thema regium
- 00:07:28 Thematis regii elaborationes canonicae
- Canon perpetuus super thema regium
- Canon 2 a 2 violini in unisono
- Canon 1 a 2 cancrizans
- Canon 3 a 2 per motum contrarium
- Ricercar a 6
- Canon a 4 per aumentationem, contrario motu (a)
- 00:25:18 Sonata sopr’il soggetto reale a traversa
- 00:42:59 Thematis regii elaborationes canonicae
- Canon a 2 quaerondo invenietis (a)
- Canon 5 a 2 per tonos
- Canon a 2 quaerondo invenietis (b)
- Fuga canonica in epidiapente
- Canon a 2 per aumentationem, contrario motu (b)
- Canon perpetuus per giusti intervalli
- Canon a 4
- Ricercar a 6
- 01:07:24 Encore: Orchestral suite no. 2 in B minor: Badinerie
Le Concert des Nations and Jordi Savall
Le Concert des Nations is an orchestra with period instruments, able to perform the orchestral and symphonic repertoire from the Baroque to Romanticism: 1600 – 1850. The orchestra was created in 1989, the youngest of the groups conducted by the Catalan maestro and viola da gamba virtuoso Jordi Savall.
Le Concert des Nations is the first orchestra of its kind made up of musicians who originate mainly from Latin countries (Spain, South America, Italy, Portugal, France as well as many other countries). The name Le Concert des Nations refers to the work by François Couperin as an assembly of “tastes” and bears the mark of the Age of Enlightenment. Le Concert des Nations is the orchestra of La Capella Reial de Catalunya.
Jordi Savall (born August 1, 1941) is a Catalan Spanish viol player, conductor, and composer. He has been one of the major figures in the field of Western early music since the 1970s, largely responsible for bringing instruments of the viol family (most notably the viola da gamba) back to life on the stage. His characteristic repertory emphasizes medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque music, although he has occasionally ventured into the Classical and even the Romantic periods.
- The Musical Offering, BWV 1079 on Wikipedia
- Le Concert des Nations on Wikipedia
- Jordi Savall on Wikipedia
- Chopin: Nocturne No. 20 [Violin: Caroline Adomeit] - December 4, 2022
- Vivaldi: Violin Concerto in D Major, RV 208 (Grosso Mogul), Augusta McKay Lodge, Voices of Music - December 3, 2022
- Bach: Concerto for 2 Harpsichords & Strings in C Major, BWV 1061 [Katia & Marielle Labèque, Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini] - December 2, 2022