Argentine pianist Martha Argerich and the Brazilian classical pianist Nelson Freire perform Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Suite No. 2, Op. 17, a composition for two pianos, which was composed in Italy in the first months of 1901. Recorded in Tokyo in October 2003.
After his highly unsuccessful first symphony, Rachmaninoff did not produce anything for four years. This suite, like his 2nd Piano Concerto, came after that period. It was first performed on November 24, 1901, at a concert of the Moscow Philharmonic Society, by the composer himself and his cousin Alexander Siloti (9 October 1863, near Kharkiv – 8 December 1945, New York City), the Ukrainian pianist, conductor, and composer).
The four movements are:
- Introduction (Alla marcia, in C major)
- Valse (Presto, in G major)
- Romance (Andantino, in A flat major)
- Tarantelle (Presto, in C minor)
- Suite No. 2 (Rachmaninoff) on wikipedia
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 (Stefan Vladar) - June 28, 2022
- Philippe Jaroussky and Thibaut Garcia: Les feuilles mortes (Autumn Leaves) - June 17, 2022
- Mario Lanza sings “Be My Love” (Original 1950 recording) - June 12, 2022