Argentine pianist Martha Argerich and the Brazilian classical pianist Nelson Freire perform Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Suite No. 2, Op. 17, a composition for two pianos, which was composed in Italy in the first months of 1901. Recorded in Tokyo in October 2003.
After his highly unsuccesful first symphony, Rachmaninoff did not produce anything for four years. This suite, like his 2nd Piano Concerto, came after that period. It was first performed on November 24, 1901, at a concert of the Moscow Philharmonic Society, by the composer himself and his cousin Alexander Siloti (9 October 1863, near Kharkiv – 8 December 1945, New York City), the Ukrainian pianist, conductor and composer).
The four movements are:
- Introduction (Alla marcia, in C major)
- Valse (Presto, in G major)
- Romance (Andantino, in A flat major)
- Tarantelle (Presto, in C minor)
- Suite No. 2 (Rachmaninoff) on wikipedia
- Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 (Jonian Ilias Kadesha) - January 16, 2022
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 with period instruments (Jordi Savall with Le Concert des Nations) (2021) - January 2, 2022
- Torelli: Trumpet Concerto in D Major (Voices of Music & Dominic Favia) - January 2, 2022