Accompanied by the Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse, Georgian classical pianist Khatia Buniatishvili plays Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16 by Edvard Grieg. Conductor: Tugan Sokhiev. Composed in 1868, it was the only concerto that the Norwegian composer completed. It is one of Grieg’s most popular works and among the most popular of all piano concerti.
The concerto is in three movements:
- Allegro molto moderato (A minor). The first movement is noted for the timpani roll in the first bar that leads to a dramatic piano flourish. The movement is in the Sonata form. The movement finishes with a virtuosic cadenza and a similar flourish as in the beginning.
- Adagio (D-flat major). The second movement is a lyrical movement in D-flat major, which leads directly into the third movement.
- Allegro moderato molto e marcato – Quasi presto – Andante maestoso (A minor – F major – A minor – A major). The third movement opens in A minor 4/4 time with an energetic theme (Theme 1), which is followed by a lyrical theme in F major (Theme 2). The movement returns to Theme 1. Following this recapitulation is the 3/4 A major Quasi presto section, which consists of a variation of Theme 1. The movement concludes with the Andante maestoso in A major, which consists of a dramatic rendition of Theme 2 (as opposed to the lyrical fashion with which Theme 2 is introduced).
Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse
The Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse is a French orchestra based in Toulouse. It acts as both a symphony orchestra whose main residence is Toulouse’s Halle aux Grains, and the permanent orchestra of the Théâtre du Capitole in Toulouse.
Initially, with the name Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse, past music directors of the orchestra have included André Cluytens (beginning in 1932) and Georges Prêtre (1951–1955). The Orchestre du Capitole rose to prominence during Michel Plasson’s tenure as music director, from 1968 to 2003.
- Bizet/Waxman/Kugel: Carmen Fantasie [Dana Zemtsov & Anna Fedorova] - January 28, 2023
- Dowland: In Darkness Let Me Dwell [Jaroussky, Garcia] - January 28, 2023
- Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata (Full) [Eric Zivian, fortepiano] - January 21, 2023