San Francisco based early music ensemble Voices of Music and the American violinist Cynthia Miller Freivogel who specialized in both baroque and modern violin perform Antonio Vivaldi’s “Winter” from The Four Seasons. The piece was performed on original period instruments.
Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, “L’inverno” (Winter)
- Allegro non molto
- Largo is written in rich, five-part counterpoint in which the violins provide chordal, plucked arpeggios against a fast-moving, bowed solo cello part, while the violin sounds an expressive melody above all the different textures.
Voices of Music
Voices of Music is creating a worldwide digital library of music videos, recordings and editions, free for anyone in the world. To support this vital project, which will enable new generations of people all around the world to enjoy Classical music, please consider a tax-deductible donation or sponsor a recording project. With your help, anything is possible!
- Hanneke van Proosdij & David Tayler, directors
- Maria Caswell, baroque viola, anonymous, Mittenwald, c1800
- Cynthia Miller Freivogel, baroque violin by Johann Paul Schorn, Salzburg, Austria, 1715
- Lisa Grodin, baroque violin by Paulo Antonio Testore, Larga di Milano, Italy, 1736
- Katherine Heater, baroque organ by Winold van der Putten, Finsterwolde, Netherlands, 2004, after early 18th-century northern German instruments
- Carla Moore, baroque violin by Johann Georg Thir, Vienna, Austria, 1754
- Maxine Nemerovski, baroque violin by Timothy Johnson, Indiana, 1999 (after Stradivarius)
- Farley Pearce, violone by George Stoppani, Manchester, 1985, after Amati, 1560
- Hanneke van Proosdij, harpsichord
- Elisabeth Reed, baroque cello, anonymous, 1673
- David Tayler, archlute by Andreas von Holst, Munich, 2012
- after Magno Tieffenbrucker, Venice, c1610
- Tanya Tomkins, baroque cello, Lockey Hill, London, England, 1798
- Gabrielle Wunsch, baroque violin by Lorenzo Carcassi, Florence, Italy, 1765
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 (Stefan Vladar) - June 28, 2022
- Philippe Jaroussky and Thibaut Garcia: Les feuilles mortes (Autumn Leaves) - June 17, 2022
- Mario Lanza sings “Be My Love” (Original 1950 recording) - June 12, 2022