Here are the top ten most viewed posts on andantemoderato.com in August 2015. Maria Callas singing “Casta Diva” from Norma, Vincenzo Bellini’s 1831 opera in two acts. Paris, 1958 is on top of the list.
Click to see Top Ten posts of July 2015
Click to see Top Ten posts of September 2015
- Maria Callas sings “Casta Diva” from Norma (Bellini)
1,216 views in August 2015
Maria Callas sings “Casta Diva” from Norma, Vincenzo Bellini’s 1831 opera in two acts. Paris, 1958. The opera is regarded as a leading example of the bel canto genre and a major soprano aria, “Casta diva”, in act 1, is one of the most famous of the nineteenth century. Maria Callas was a notable Norma of the post-war period.
- Plácido Domingo & José Carreras – Non Ti Scordar Di Me (Don’t Forget About Me)
831 views in August 2015
Plácido Domingo & José Carreras sings “Non Ti Scordar di Me (Don’t Forget About Me)”, for tribute to their friend Luciano Pavarotti. Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Eugene Kochn.
- Tchaikovsky – Swan Lake (The Kirov Theatre)
691 views in August 2015
Probably the best loved classical ballet, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s “Swan Lake” Op. 20. It tells the story of Odette, a princess turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer’s curse. Here the naturally gifted Russian ballet dancer Yulia Makhalina dances the challenging role of Odette/Odile while the part of Prince Siegfried is danced by Igor Zelensky. This classic Kirov production includes the familiar happy ending in the final act where Siegfried fights and ultimately defeats the evil magician von Rothbart and at dawn is reunited with Odette. Artistic director: Oleg Vinogradov.
- Barenboim Plays Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 8 Op. 13 (Pathétique)
645 views in August 2015
Daniel Barenboim plays Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13, commonly known as Sonata Pathétique. Live in Berlin (2005). The piece is one of composer’s most celebrated compositions.
- Arthur Rubinstein Plays Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2
643 views in August 2015
Widely regarded as one of the greatest Chopin interpreter of his time, the Polish American classical pianist Arthur Rubinstein (January 28, 1887 – December 20, 1982) plays Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21. London Symphony Orchestra conducted by André Previn.
- Pavarotti at Hyde Park (1991)
531 views in August 2015
On July 30, 1991, Luciano Pavarotti has given a free concert in London’s Hyde Park to celebrate his 30 years in opera. A crowd more than 100,000 stood in the rain to watch and listen Luciano.
- Ravel – Boléro (London Symphony Orchestra & Gergiev)
525 views in August 2015
One of the premier orchestras int the world, the London Symphony Orchestra plays Maurice Ravel’s most famous musical composition, “Boléro”, the one-movement orchestral piece originally composed as a ballet. Conductor: Valery Gergiev, the Russian conductor and opera company director.
- Mozart – Requiem (Claudio Abbado)
483 views in August 2015
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Requiem Mass in D minor (K. 626), Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Berliner Philharmoniker) conducted by Claudio Abbado and Swedish Radio Choir (chorus master: Maria Wieslander). From the Herbert von Karajan memorial concert, Cathedral in Salzburg, Austria, 16 July 1999.
- Maria Callas Sings Habanera From Carmen
409 views in August 2015
Maria Callas – “La Diva” sings Habanera from Georges Bizet’s 1875 opera Carmen. At Covent garden, 1962.
- Daniel Barenboim Plays Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” (complete)
375 views in August 2015
Daniel Barenboim plays Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor “Quasi una fantasia”, Op. 27, No. 2, popularly known as the Moonlight Sonata. Recorded in 1983.
- Buying a grand piano: reasons why it’s worth it - February 27, 2021
- Bach – Concerto in A minor for four harpsichords, BWV 1065 (Netherlands Bach Society) - January 15, 2021
- Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Guitar Concerto No. 1 (Viloteau, Sala, and John Williams versions) - October 12, 2020