Conducted by Paavo Järvi, the hr-Sinfonieorchester (Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra) plays Robert Schumann’s Overture, Scherzo and Finale, Opus 52, a work for symphony orchestra. Recorded live at Alte Oper Frankfurt on March 6, 2015.
Schumann wrote this work in 1841 and considered it as his second symphony. It is published in 1846 by Kistner, a music publishing company based in Leipzig, and dedicated to the Dutch violinist and conductor Johannes Joseph Hermann Verhulst (March 19, 1816 in The Hague – January 17, 1891 in Bloemendaal).
The work is in three movements:
- An overture (Andante con moto in E minor – Allegro in E major and 2:2 time) (sketched and completed in April 1841)
- A scherzo (Tempo: Vivo), in 6:8 time and in C♯ minor, whose theme is based on that of the overture. It has a trio section in D-flat major, in contrasting 2:4 time whose material reappears as the coda of the movement.
- Finale (Allegro molto vivace) (orchestrated around May 1841)
- Overture, Scherzo and Finale on wikipedia
Latest posts by M. Özgür Nevres (see all)
- Bach – Orchestral Suite No. 2 BWV 1067 (full) - October 14, 2019
- Bach: BWV 1067 Suite – Badinerie (Croatian Baroque Orchestra) - October 14, 2019
- Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Mvt. (Marnie Laird) - October 14, 2019