Alban Berg Quartet plays Ludwig van Beethoven’s String Quartet No. 2 in G major, op. 18, No. 2. The quartet was composed between 1798 and 1800 and published in 1801.
There are four movements:
- Adagio cantabile – Allegro – Tempo I
- Scherzo: Allegro
- Allegro molto, quasi presto
It was also named “Komplimentierquartett” especially due to the extremely jovial character of the first theme, often interpreted as a sequence of ceremonial salutes. In its expression, the G major quartet pays tribute to the preclassical period, but also to the atmosphere of entertainment specific to the works of Haydn or Mozart.
Alban Berg Quartet:
Günter Pichler, violin 1
Gerhard Schulz, violin 2
Thomas Kakuska, viola
Valentin Erben, cello
- Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 (Jonian Ilias Kadesha) - January 16, 2022
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 with period instruments (Jordi Savall with Le Concert des Nations) (2021) - January 2, 2022
- Torelli: Trumpet Concerto in D Major (Voices of Music & Dominic Favia) - January 2, 2022