Andreas Scholl, the famous German countertenor sings arias and songs by Henry Purcell, the English baroque era composer. Italian period ensemble Accademia Bizantina conducted by Stefano Montanari. Directed by Olivier Simonnet and Broascast by ARTE, 2009.
- 00:00:56 – The gordian knot unty’d, Z. 597
- 00:12:54 – If music be the food of love, Z. 379
- 00:15:27 – Sweeter than roses, Z. 585
- 00:19:32 – Now that the sun hath veil’d its light, Z. 193
- 00:25:18 – Chaconne – King Arthur, Z. 628
- 00:29:53 – When I am laid in earth – Dido and Aeneas, Z. 193
- 00:35:26 – Cold song – King Arthur, Z. 628
- 00:39:41 – Pavan in G minor, Z. 752
- 00:50:15 – Here the deities approve, Z. 339
- 00:55:02 – O solitude, my sweetest choice, Z. 406
- 01:02:22 – Music for while, Z. 583
- 01:07:16 – Sonata of three parts in G major, Z. 797
- 01:14:25 – Fairest isle, all isles excelling, Z. 628
- 01:22:30 – One charming night – The fairy Queen, Z. 629
- 01:27:06 – Encore: Man is for the woman made, Z. 605
The Accademia Bizantina, founded in 1983 in Ravenna, is today acknowledged as one of the world’s best period performance ensembles focussing on the interpretation of Italian music from the 17th and 18th century. The ensemble’s historically informed performances are particularly noted for their rigorous style and colourful interpretation.
Since January 1996 the ensemble has been conducted by Ottavio Dantone, the group’s harpsichordist since 1989. Under the direction of both Dantone and lead violin Stefano Montanari, the Accademia Bizantina has established itself as an orchestra of incredible vitality and energy, whose repertoire ranges from Monteverdi to Spontini.
Their recordings have been awarded prizes including the Diapason d’Or (2005), and their Decca recording of Arias for Senesino with Andreas Scholl was received with great acclaim. The Accademia Bizantina is regularly invited to prestigious international festivals including the Salzburg, Lucerne, Ravenna, Holstein and Cervantino festivals, and they have performed throughout Europe, Israel, Mexico, the United States and Japan.
- Accademia Bizantina on Decca Classics
Latest posts by M. Özgür Nevres (see all)
- Bach – Orchestral Suite No. 2 BWV 1067 (full) - October 14, 2019
- Bach: BWV 1067 Suite – Badinerie (Croatian Baroque Orchestra) - October 14, 2019
- Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Mvt. (Marnie Laird) - October 14, 2019